WYOMING UNITED METHODIST CHURCH has served the town of Wyoming Delaware since 1865. At that time the town was growing rapidly and a need was felt by the people for a church to be built. Mr. John T. Jakes was largely responsible for what was to become known as “the Plank Church” built on his property on the lake. The building was plain, the walls made of plank set upon end. The dedication service for the building was held on November 17, 1865.
In just three months, the membership grew to almost one hundred. The originial Broad St. sanctuary was built in 1882. The church was moved to its final location on Broad Street in 1912. At that time, a large Sunday School room, tower entrance, and belfry were added.
Several remodelings have taken place since then, the largest being in 1963 when a new educational wing and fellowship hall were added. In 1993 the Faldan House at 112 Broad Street (Faldan is an Old English word meaning a gathering place for spiritual fellowship) was purchased as the new location for the church office.
Today, Wyoming United Methodist Church is continuing to move forward with the growth of our church family and the ministries we offer. Plans were made to build a new church facility, we broke ground on 9/9/2007 and celebrated our first Worship Service in our current facility at 216 Wyoming Mill Road on July 19, 2009.